Chermoula is a bright, garlicky sauce or marinade widely used in Moroccan and Tunisian cooking. Here it accompanies chickpeas and grilled vegetables as a picnic-worthy side dish, but it also pairs well with steak and fish.
2 cups prepared Farmer Direct Organic Chickpeas
- 2 cloves garlic, smashed
- ½ tsp. sea salt
- 1 tsp. each ground cumin, coriander, and smoked paprika
- 1/3 c. olive oil
- Juice & zest from 1 lemon
- 1 bunch cilantro, coarsely chopped
- 1 bunch parsley, coarsely chopped
- ¼ c. packed fresh mint leaves
- 1 medium red sweet pepper, cut in half & seeded
- 1 medium yellow sweet pepper, cut in half & seeded
- 2 medium zucchinis, cut lengthwise into 1/3” thick slabs
- 1 medium eggplant, cut into 1/3” thick rounds
- Olive oil and sea salt, for serving
Heat a gas or charcoal grill (or you can use a broiler).
Combine all of chermoula sauce ingredients in a blender or food processor and pulse until sauce is blended but still a bit chunky. Combine chermoula sauce with cooked chickpeas in a large serving bowl and set aside.
When grill is hot, brush prepared vegetables generously with olive oil and sprinkle with sea salt. Grill peppers skin-side down until blistered & starting to blacken – remove to a bowl and cover. Grill remaining vegetables until just soft, but with some char marks.
Scrape the blackened skin off the peppers with the blunt end of a chef’s knife, cut into pieces. Cut remaining vegetables into large bite-size pieces. Toss grilled vegetables with the chermoula chickpeas.
Serve warm or at room temperature.