Servings 4 Cook Time 0:40 Diet Vegan
Einkorn berries are the edible part of the wheat kernel, including the bran, germ, and endosperm, before the whole grain undergoes any processing. Soaking overnight results in a more tender grain that, when cooked, is chewy, nutty and rich in fiber and protein. A perfect, healthy addition to the breakfast table.
- 1 cup Farmer Direct Organic Einkorn Berries
- 2 cups water (additional for soaking)
- ¼ tsp. sea salt
- ½ c. chopped dried apricots, figs, and/or apples
- 2 Tbsp. butter or coconut oil
- 1/3 cup chopped toasted nuts or seeds
- ¼ cup Farmer Direct Organic Hemp Seeds
- ¼ cup honey or maple syrup (optional)
- Additional fresh fruit for serving (optional)
- Yogurt for serving (optional)
The night before, soak raw einkorn berries in 3 cups water.
In the morning, drain einkorn berries and combine with 2 cups water, sea salt, dried fruit, and butter or coconut oil in a heavy-bottomed sauce pan. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, cover, and simmer until most of liquid is absorbed and einkorn berries are cooked (they will remain chewy), about 35 minutes.
Serve hot with nuts or seeds, hemp hearts, sweetener of choice, fresh fruit and yogurt if desired.